CHANGES IN FIRE PREVENTION SERVICES IN BYRAM TOWNSHIP
Effective January 1, 2017 the Township of Sparta and the Township of Byram entered into a Shared Services Agreement for the services of smoke detector/carbon monoxide alarm and portable fire extinguisher compliance inspections. As part of this arrangement, Sparta will also be handling life and non-life hazard inspections for commercial establishments in accordance with the Uniform Fire Safety Act, P.L. 1983, C. 383.
All fees related to the inspections of and permits issued for properties in Byram Township will be paid directly to the Township of Sparta. Fees are outlined in Sparta's Ordinance 16-1.8 and 16-1.9. To schedule an inspection, please call Sparta Fire Prevention at 973-729-4227.
As done in the past, smoke detector inspections will be conducted one day per week. If there are no open permits in the Construction Office, the certificate will be issued on site at the time of inspection. If open permits exist, contact Byram Construction office at 973-347-2500 x123 to close out the permits.
Fire Inspection Requirements for Home Sale or Change of Occupancy:
Uniform Fire Code requires before the change of occupancy (home sale or change of renter), the owner shall obtain a Smoke Detector Carbon Monoxide Alarm Certificate (CSDCMAC) in any 1-family or 2-family dwelling unit and also in apartment units.
If you live in a home, the homeowner/realtor is responsible for scheduling an inspection.
If you live in an apartment, the management company is responsible for scheduling and inspection.
- Smoke detector exists on each level, including basements; (excluding attic and crawl space); and
- Smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm outside each separate sleeping area; and within 10 feet of bedrooms; and
- All smoke detectors are in working order; and
- Carbon monoxide alarm(s) in working order; and
- Fire extinguisher is the correct size, is properly mounted, and is located within 10 feet of the kitchen.
- Inspections are completed on Wednesday only between 10:00 AM and 12:00 PM.
- Phone: (973)729-4227
- Provide name, phone number and address of property.
- Questions will be answered when scheduling the appointment
- Certificate of smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm compliance - $50.00
- Each additional inspection of smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm compliance - $35.00